Friday, November 09, 2007

McCall's 5479



Pattern: McCall’s 5479
Description: Misses’ Lined Jackets: A-line, cropped or high hip, lined jacket with back pleat has front and collar variations
Sizing: 4 to 20, I made a 10 and I really like the fit of this one.
Instructions: The instructions were very good and added some pretty good lining tips. I did pull out my Sandra Betzina’s Power Sewing Step-by-Step to help with the lining. I also bagged the lining as described in the book.
Likes/Dislikes: I like the retro feel of the jacket. I like the longer version and the weight is good for a car coat. I don’t like my plaid fabric – I really spent some time cutting this out. One layer at a time but as you can tell my back is a bit off. Oh, well, I move quickly, and have no friends who sew, just my internet pals will know.
Changes: Well, I started with the one inch extra length to the body and the sleeves. I had the coat partially finished, and put it on. My first observation – my neck isn’t long enough for this coat. I need to be Inspector Gadget (cartoon character) and crank my neck up to work the collar for this coat. As this is not going to happen, I folded the front of the collar down and sewed a button to keep it in place. Wow, her buttons don’t match – you are right, I didn’t have any matching navy buttons so these are for the pictures only. I will get matching buttons!

Next change, my sleeves felt like the wings. Others might feel differently but for me, this had to be fixed. I took inspiration from Sew Stylish Fall 2007 and added bands to the sleeves. I decided to cut the bands on the bias, I like this look. Yes, the buttons don’t match here either!
Fabric: A nice flannel coating from Joanns. Nice in the weight, not so nice in the plaid area.

Conclusion: I really love this jacket, now to find a gray turtleneck. I feel a bit better about my lining skills, now to work on the plaid skills! Fellow sewers, this is a quick garment to make and one you can make several changes to make it your own.

Front - I have something to fix on the bottom right (as you look at it) pulls a bit.





band

collar



My dog enjoying the sun:



And the bittersweet I planted this spring - isn't it pretty?






13 comments:

  1. ooooh....i am working on the very same pattern right now. i like your sleeve treatment. mind if i copy the idea? i have concerns about the wide sleeve, but i am trying to branch out a bit with my wardrobe.

    brave girl to try this in a plaid. :) i am using a herringbone nubby silk twill....no matching required.

    hope mine comes out as nicely as yours!

    teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your jacket! I have this pattern in my stash too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:08 PM

    I love it; plaid and all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that is BEAUTIFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Lori! Love the plaid..and your style modifications (collar and sleeve bands) really "work" with this silhouette!

    Pam from ~Off The Cuff Style~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:00 AM

    Cute!!
    I don't see anything that's off on the nicely matched plaid on the back! Would love to see it modeled, as the sleeves look wrist length, but from the pattern envelope, looks as though they aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! I love the designs features you added, especially the sleeve cuffs! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:22 AM

    Lori,
    Very classy jacket! The bands on the sleeves are a great idea. You do sew such nice clothing!
    Donna W

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning and beautiful! Very well done, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That jacket is just so cute! I love it, and the details on it are just great. Your pictures of your dog and the bittersweet are very nice, too. I think most of the stuff we planted this year won't take after such a dry summer. :( We'll see if the wet fall helped them recover for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really like the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lori, Love the jacket!

    ReplyDelete