Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Pattern Review - Hot Patterns Metropolitan Tie Me Down Tops

Pattern Review

Pattern: Metropolitan Tie Me Down Tops





Description: Semi-fitted Top has center front seam and a tie neck. Top features shaped hemline, with shirring at the shoulders and center back for a fabulous fit. Choose from short gathered flutter sleeves, or full length gathered sleeves with a shirred cuff. Top pulls on over the head for super-easy dressing.

Sizing: 6 to 26, I made a 10. I could have tapered it in around the waist but the instructions indicate that is what the back shirring is to do.

Instructions: The instructions were simple and easy to understand, their diagrams were very helpful. I did find one mistake. The tie is suppose to have a notch, you sew the long tie RST to the notch, clip to the notch, turn right sides out. The portion of the tie not sew together attaches to the neck edge. Without the notch you are not sure what amount of the tie to leave open. I measured the flat pattern neckline and subtracted a bit more. This helped pull the neckline to the body.

Likes/Dislikes: There were no dislikes at all. I really like this top and it looks so much better on me than my dressform which is unusual. Make sure you use soft, fluid knits with a little stretch-try silk(y) jersey or a drapey t-shirting as indicated on the pattern. The fabric will make all the difference in the world.

Changes: I made no changes this time. I want to make it again in the long sleeve version and will add 1-2” in the length.

I did stitch the hem as a double rolled hem to add weight to the garment.

Fabric: A wonderful, soft jersey from Needle Nook Fabrics. I purchased this at ASG Convention.

Conclusion: This top really makes the grade and it is a winner. I have wanted this top since Hot Patterns first brought it out and bought it this summer during a sale. I am so happy I broke down, it was well worth it.





I ordered a nice gray knit from Needle Nook and wanted a nice basic shirt. I used Jalie 2005 but my sizing is a bit wrong. This top is big through the shoulders and under the arms. Time to trace another one.

I have a RTW top with a pintucked yoke. I wanted to duplicate the look, I did vertical pintucks, didn't have to worry about the stretch of the fabric and spaced them out 1-1/2". Don't worry on me the line does not hit right down the middle of my chest. It is just above my chest!

How I did it:
cut a square of fabric larger than the yoke area. Used my chalk marker and drew a line straight with the grain, from this mark made lines every 1-1/2". I stitched all the pintucks, cut a straight line at the bottom - sewed this to fabric piece and then cut out my front.

Here you can see the pintucks. This top isn't a favorite but will be fine to wear to work. I have other knit patterns I like better.

6 comments:

  1. Impressive detailing, Lori! These tops turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both tops Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tops! As usual great sewing!
    Donna W
    Edmonton, Alberta

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the pintucks. Golly Lori. First the red and gray stripe knit that now this. You are killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love these tops, the details are fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two more great looking tops! You are rocking!

    ReplyDelete