Friday, February 15, 2013

Navy Stripe Blazer and Red Jersey Top




I have been looking at striped blazers for about a month now, just search "stripe knit blazer" on Pinterest and it yields many results.  From the traditional navy-white/cream to red/navy and green/navy color combination, to varying lengths to the treatment of the label/front finishes, the choices are limitless for this stylish blazer

I purchased Navy Stripes Nautical Double-faced Cotton-blend Jersey with the one thought, "I love this fabric!"  After my order came from Mood Fabrics, I noticed my navy ponte (from my first Mood Sewing Network post) matched perfectly.  That is when our minds as fashion sewers just starts planning and picturing ideas.  I looked at all the lines of the blazers from Pinterest and decided on  McCall's 6711:




Some of the changes I made was adding the piping at the princess seam, using the navy ponte to bind the front, collar and sleeves.   The fabrics worked great together and the color match was perfect.  I did not line this blazer, as I wanted to have the benefit of the double-faced fabric.  Just take a look, the rolled-up sleeves  look fantastic with the reverse showing




I did a french seam on the sleeves and that keeps the seam nice and neat.

The top is from this same McCall's pattern and used Mood's Red Solid Jersey, which sews up beautifully.  The jersey is a nice weight, with a rayon blend but no cling that you sometimes get with rayon.   The pattern runs full, so take that in mind when making this top.




For the blazer, I basted the front and the facings wrong sides together.  Then I trimmed off the 5/8" seam allowance, as I was just binding the edges.  The McCall's pattern just meets in the middle, with no allowance for buttonholes.  I added a large hook and eye with buttons on each side.

Here is a close-up of the binding:


Now the jacket:

The back of the jacket has nice long darts for waist shaping and darts and the shoulder for more shaping.

Now that the construction is complete and I couldn't be more pleased with my blazer.  My mind is racing with all the possibilities for this blazer with garments in my closet, it will be a welcome addition to my closet.  

You can check out my post and all the other posts from the Mood Sewing Network

27 comments:

  1. Love this blazer, and the fit looks perfect! Hope to add this pattern to my list since it has several pieces that look interesting to sew :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out perfect. It looks amazing and it will be so comfortable. Love the contrast and pipping. On the baby note my daughter just made my niece the coolest baby diaper bag for when you don't want anything big to carry. I want to make one for my other daughter. http://www.coles-corner-and-creations.com/2013/02/custom-disney-world-week.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, it looks really good Lori, love the way you used the piping, that's what's up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the crisp, nautical feel of this blazer. Spring always makes me think of navy blue and nautical themes. Spring is just right around the corner, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the binding and piping idea. You always do great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing! What a great jacket. Will you wear it with your new red pants? g

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great jacket, Lori. I, too, have been looking at striped blazers for spring. This pattern is just perfect. I love your version- it looks like a designer garment. Great job! (and I love it with the red!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the jacket!!!! Especially the binding on the notched collar. Great touch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful jacket and love the binding/piping details.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just saw this over on the MSN blog - flattering and stylish but easy to wear, given your fabric choices. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I truly love this jacket. Great job! I love how you did the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Classic, stylish and great fun. What a combination! Gorgeous jacket :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great details on your jacket. You look stylish and classic which is a great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your jacket is so awesome. It is also very in season, because i've seen it both in high end and moderate rtw. Love love love your take on this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH Lori, it's such a stylish jacket! So on trend and I love the contrast binding. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is fantastic! Very nautical. I really like how you've trimmed it out in a navy solid. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:16 PM

    Awesome jacket and fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've wanted a knit blazer for ages, yours is absolutely gorgeous and I really like the button detail on the front.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous11:12 PM

    The striped blazer is a great look with the piping. The line drawing of the top you used and the dress look good, too. How great to have a "wardrobe" pattern with so many desirable pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lori! I'm catching up this week and see you've been busy. :). I love your new blazer and top. The piping and trim on the jacket look great. The diaper bag is so cute! Your new bedroom curtains are perfect!,

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lori this jacket is amazing and I love that you used this pattern. It is one that I picked up recently and wondered how it would work up. Thanks for doing it first. It is definitely on my list to get done.

    ReplyDelete
  22. By the way, I love that necklace you are wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great outfit. It's hard to find navy and white as opposed to black and white. Good on Mood for having this in stock.
    The jacket is much more stunning with the edge work you've done. It really emphasises your good fashion sense and sewing skills.
    The top is a good choice but the jacket is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Look out Talbot's! Your jacket is superb!
    Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG!! stunning jacket, great fit. wow, wow, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fantastic addition to your wardrobe! I love the casual, nautical vibe, and the professional details make it look so high quality. Gorgeous job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello! I just wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice info you've got right here on this post. I will probably be coming back to your weblog for more soon! Manchester City Jersey

    ReplyDelete