Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Mustard Poplin Jacket with Stripe Jersey shirt

Lately, I have been seeing a certain color combination of navy and mustard in fashion and I have been wanting to introduce it into my wardrobe.  I found this Mustard poplin

 add this stripe jersey

and I have the perfect combination for new spring garments.

At first, I was thinking a skirt and top, as this picture from my pins but I really don't wear skirts that much and  I wanted garments that I will wear quite often.  A jacket for spring is always a welcome addition to the wardrobe and I selected BWOF  6/2006 #104 for my pattern

I have about 15 BWOF magazines in my collection and always seem to find what I need from these.  I haven't subscribed since they changed the layout on the pattern sheets.  Let me say, I am probably in the minority but I like the Big 4 pattern companies better than Burda magazine.  Yes, many of  Burda's designs are fashion-forward yet many can be classic, my jacket pattern is from a 7 year old magazine but I find the tracing monotonous and the directions read like a foreign language at times (lost in translation).  For this pattern, I followed some of the directions and others I just constructed it as I thought best. 

Once I had settled on my pattern, I could start to plan.  What else could I add to this jacket that is on trend and stylish?  Floral, of course.  Using a floral from my stash, I added piping to the pocket flaps and collar, then I used the fabric for the under collar and cuffs.  It adds just enough to really accent the mustard color and keep the spring fashion theme.

Here is a post with a few construction details for this jacket.  The jacket itself didn't take long but all the extra piping did add a bit of additional construction time to the jacket but I think it was worth it.


It is hard to see in the constructed photo but the jacket has nice shaping in the front, darts on the sleeves and more darts on the back.  All of this does make a great fitting jacket.  


I knew all along the stripe knit was going to be the Renfrew t-shirt, it is one of my new favorites.  The knit has some color variations, more of a fading in the yardage.  I love how this looks, gives the fabric some depth and movement.  The stripe comes in four different colorways, I purchased the one called gray 02 stripes.  To my eye it is more navy and just the color I wanted paired with the mustard jacket.

Some changes on my Renfrew from the first time I made it -
  • cut a size 10 everywhere except the bust, cut a 12.  The first time I made it I cut a 14 and ended up taking it in all around.  
  • cut off 1" from the length, it was too long with the band
  • tapered the arms for the 3/4 length sleeves


I paired it all with a black ponte skirt  from my closet and I think with the black you see more navy with the knit stripe 





When I order fabric from Mood, I usually have a garment or a pattern in mind to make.  This project was quite fun, I had the color combination first, then what I thought I would make.  After touching and feeling the fabric, then contemplating what my wardrobe needed, my plans changed.  I really enjoyed the evolution of this jacket, from something plain to something a bit more suitable for spring and on-trend.



Here is a close-up of the jacket, you can see all the details.


The poplin turned out to be prefect for the jacket, it has nice body, stretch for comfort and a finish that lends itself to outerwear.

29 comments:

  1. Oh Lori - this jacket is fabulous. But I love the mottling in the fabric for the shirt. Truly stunning. Great combo. g

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome outfit. Young, fresh, chic. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:41 AM

    These pieces are both so great! I bet you'll reach for them all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely jacket and love it with the black/white stripe and skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look very smart! The jacket has a fantastic fit and the mustard is a perfect foil for the navy. I think I must be the only person in the world who hasn't made the renfrew top. It seem to be a real winner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, I love that jacket. It's gorgeous. Great outfit too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! Love that you can wear it now with skirt and boots and later in warmer weather with a cute pair of sandles and skirt - shorts - or capri pants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori
    This jacket is lovely. I think I'm emotionally responding to the color. Like you, I find that my older BWOF's are more valuable than the newer issues.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a super cute jacket! love all the detail treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lori, you look fantastic. This is a great colour combination on you. You are so on trend.
    This jacket has such beautiful detailing, which I just love. Clever choices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous6:58 PM

    Great color on you and I love the way you put it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great combo and such a lovely jacket! The colour is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your jacket is wonderful!! Great looking outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've noticed this great color combo too, Lori and love it! Great piping on the jacket and pairing with the jersey!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the great color combo and the details on the jacket! I'm working on putting together an outfit with that combo but blue and white polka dots instead of stripes. I hope it looks half as great as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The jacket is just wonderful Lori and you styled it just right.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous12:41 AM

    Those are two great pieces that I would definitely enjoy wearing. The contrast piping and cuffs is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a smart jacket! The little details of the floral fabric are perfect for spring. I wasn't going to make a spring jacket, but this might push me over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Perfection! The mustard yellow looks so fresh and is a great color on you. The piping detail is so nice. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great looking jacket! I like the blue stripe top with skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. looks fantastic great trim

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely. The piping adds interest and works well with the striped too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great new jacket and top. The piping on the jacket is really cute! I love the new high chair color and the dress you made for Paige. You stay so busy! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous11:01 PM

    Tres' chic Lori -- if I know my French! What a lovely combination that looks amazing on you!
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous11:39 PM

    Wow, love it, love it!!! That is such a great colour combo and I love the piping. Might have to steal this look if I ever come across some mustard fabric here down under. The style of this outfit really suits you. Ingrid from down under

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the piping. Buying one of those little Clover piping makers was one of my best sewing purchases. You can be so creative with garments with this. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Lori, I am new to your blog. An avid sewer for many years I transitioned from sewing clothes to mostly home decor. I am going back to my roots and getting excited about sewing clothes again. I absolutely love everything about this jacket!!!! Setting sleeves is not my favorite and I love the shoulder seams on this jacket. Having only used Vogue, McCalls, Simplicity, and Butterick patterns; I am not familiar with BWOF. Is this Burda? If so, any suggestions on where/ how to obtain this pattern? Thanks for any help, and keep sewing! You do a beautiful job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete