Sunday, January 26, 2014

McCall's 6278 - Houndstooth Dress


What do you start with first -

the fabric?

or

the pattern?



This time I started with this houndstooth from Girl Charlee





and one yard of black cotton spandex also  from Girl Charlee

Next was the pattern, I knew I wanted a dress and finally decided on McCall's 6278 (which is out-of-print)

Since I was using a knit, I eliminated the back zipper but kept the back seam allowance for the curved seam.



I just love this dress, the color blocking and the shape of this color blocking really gives you shape.  These parts are a bit tricky to stitch but if you mark your fabric, stitch the corners to stabilize then the results are good

I did make one mistake and realized it after I cut the fabric.... forgot to lower the dart.  You can see it in the above picture but since it is a knit, the fit is more forgiving.

Here is the back, a funny wrinkle but I think it is from my stance


I think this dress is more of a summer type dress but it looks good with a jacket for winter but you don't see the great side details.


I did line this dress with a tricot knit with some changes.  I did not do the side pieces but redrew the front and back to be one solid piece.  I also pinched out the dart when I redrew the piece.  Maybe a bit unconventional but it worked for me.

I did use the black fabric for the yokes on the lining, keeping the nude tricot from peaking through at the neckline.


One last thing to point out, the neckline is high but I do like how it shows off a necklace.


This might become my favorite dress.

50 comments:

  1. I love this look Lori. Wonderful with the boots and contrasting jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Faye, I do love this dress.

      Delete
  2. I love, love, love everything about this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic! I love how you married your fabric and pattern choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn, it is a good marriage of fabric! :)

      Delete
  4. Great dress -- I love the fabric! Plus, how in the world did you ever get those shapes straight! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, thanks so much, it is great fabric. I just did lots of pinning, marking and sewed very slowly.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous12:35 AM

    You look great in this dress Lori! Very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, it is a feel-good dress.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous dress! Love the contrast pieces. Do you regularly line your knit dresses with tricot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Treva, when I do line knit dresses, I use tricot. thin and stretches. I didn't want this knit to cling to my tights, plus the white portion of the knit might be a bit see-through.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lori! I have a huge stash of knits, and just lost 25 pounds add o I want to make a few dresses that will grow down with me. I still have more to lose but a girl can't be wearing pajamas when she's not at work all the time. :-)

      Delete
    3. Congrats on the weight loss, Treva, have fun sewing up your knits.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! Great match of fabrics and pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Sigrid. I learned after one color blocking mistake to put the solid, darker color on the sides.

      Delete
  8. L.O.V.E. this!!! and thanks for the lining tips :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I truly could not love this entire outfit more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dress looks fabulous on you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Virginia.

      Delete
  11. Oh this is too cute Lori! and you are wearing it so well. Thanks to you, I'm giving this pattern a good look! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it is a good pattern, I am surprised it is OOP

      Delete
  12. This is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen you make. And it looks beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy, that is so kind of you.

      Delete
  13. Fabulous! Enjoy wearing your new creation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is gorgeous! It's one of those patterns I would have quickly passed over, but your version is a knockout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Meigan, the floral dress on the pattern cover doesn't do the pattern much justice.

      Delete
  15. This dress looks so good on you. Another winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna, I really like this one.

      Delete
  16. Looks fabulous!! Love it!! Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phyllis, I appreciate it.

      Delete
  17. Looks great! love the styling with the blazer over top. I always have loved houndstooth print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about houndstooth I just love, too. Thanks

      Delete
  18. Love this dress on you -- so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela, I am so happy with the results.

      Delete
  19. You are looking so sharp Lori.
    This dress is wonderful and it works so well on you. The necklace does balance the neckline without having to rework the neckline piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Maria, I feel sharp wearing this dress.

      Delete
  20. What a perfect match of pattern and fabric! I love houndstooth and it looks great with the black contrast. I love how this looks on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shar, there is just something about houndstooth, isn't there?

      Delete
  21. Wow, I really like this! And I never thought of lining a stretch garment with tricot. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki, the tricot works nicely and I was so happy to have some in my stash.

      Delete
  22. Lori that dress is amazing! Thank you for shopping with us at Girl Charlee Fabrics, we appreciate the links too :)

    Heather
    www.girlcharlee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather, it was fabulous fabric to sew.

      Delete
  23. What a flattering dress, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sarah, I just love this dress.

      Delete