Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Butterick 5610

One thing I like to do is use up the rest of the fabric after I make the original garment.  This statement is especially true when I have such great fabric, as in my Staple dress,


Butterick 5610 using Mood Fabrics cotton and ponte

In my patterns, I have Butterick 5610 and went with the lower left version minus the elastic





I was so happy to have an opportunity to make this pattern.  The pleats in the front are so interesting, you sew 5 pleats  and then the next pleat is a large one and makes that very large crossover in the front.

Butterick 5610 using Mood Fabrics cotton and ponte

I used a bit of black ponte for the yoke, which if you were using a woven is lined.  I just turned in the neckline edge and hemmed the sleeves instead of using a facing.

Butterick 5610 using Mood Fabrics cotton and ponte


The neckline is a bit wide, so check that out when you make this pattern.  I think I am going to add some strap holders on the inside to keep the top in place.

Butterick 5610 using Mood Fabrics cotton and ponte

You can see my bra straps a bit in some of the pictures.  I do like this top and it is just right for the fabric.


I told you I would post a picture of a good corn field.   Here it is in all of its green and tall glory.  We do need another rain.


Butterick 5610 using Mood Fabrics cotton and ponte


A quick picture of the back to show off the fabric and my top.
Butterick 5610 using Mood Fabrics cotton and ponte

I don't have any of the cotton or the ponte left, so this was a perfect choice of pattern.



34 comments:

  1. The last picture looks really nice !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, pictures like that make me really appreciate where I live.

      Delete
  2. I am so buying that pattern today! I have a top that looks just like that - I wear it all the time. I had been thinking I would stop by and see if you have sewn something similar and here it is! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great pattern with some options. I have had it for a year or better, so happy to have sewn it up. You will enjoy making it and wearing it.

      Delete
  3. I have this pattern in my stash, just waiting for the right fabric. After seeing yours, I like it so much I am going to move this one to the top of my list. Very cute- and a great use for the beautiful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa, it is a quick sew but has nice style. Can't wait to see your top.

      Delete
  4. Oh what a cute top - I need that pattern and have been not staying on top of new patterns for the last little bit and so I will be paying attention to pattern sales coming up so I can grab it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, this one has been around for a bit. You will enjoy making it.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous9:41 AM

    What a great top! This looks like a really versatile pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sonja, I do like this pattern.

      Delete
  6. Great use of leftover fabrics, Lori. Your dress from the same fabric is really cute also. Bet y'all eat your share of corn on the cob! Here we only get it in stores, not quite as fresh as you get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea, it seemed a shame not to use it. I do have just some scraps left and might use it for collar bands and cuffs on an Archer.
      This corn field is actually field corn, for livestock and ethanol. We do have local farmers bring us sweet corn and it has been the best I have ever had.

      Delete
  7. Looks great Lori - what a cute top pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joen, I love it and love the fabric use, too.

      Delete
  8. Love, love your new top. The colors and print work well together. I have this pattern too and have not tried it yet. Thanks for posting your review of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cennetta, I am happy how it turned out and just put it in my suitcase for a long weekend away with my youngest two.

      Delete
  9. Lovely top and like the contrasting yoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila, the black helps show off the print.

      Delete
  10. Your top is really pretty Lori. You are the top master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Faye, I wear jeans almost everyday for work so I need a variety of tops.

      Delete
  11. This is beautiful make. You really have made the best of a beautiful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I sure didn't want this great fabric to sit on the shelf.

      Delete
  12. I have this pattern and your darling top makes me want to sew it up. Thanks for the tip about the wide neckline. I do think your top would look a tad better with black pants/jeans but maybe my computer screen is not showing the right blue in your pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black pants are a good idea, I have some ponte pants that would look great with this top. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  13. Lori, love the location of the photo shoot! LOL This top is just so cute; great way to use up the print fabric. Hope you enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra, it was fun to go somewhere other than the yard.

      Delete
  14. Love it and I think I have that pattern! I need to pull it out to use with leftovers. Looks great on you and so did the original dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, You will like the top, just watch the neckline.

      Delete
  15. I loved your first version of the top and the second one is just as nice! I have this pattern and wanted to make a dress from it...I definitely need to pull it out before the summer is over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, your dress will be fabulous.

      Delete
  16. This is such a great top! This fabric is a great color for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, I am so pleased with this top.

      Delete