Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Staple Dress in NY Designer Lightweight Cotton Fabric


I knew when I purchased this fabulous print  from Mood Fabrics that the fabric needed to be the star of the garment.  I am so sorry but it is sold out. I love this print.





I went with April Rhode's The Staple Dress



here is the description
"Designed to be simple yet flattering. This dress has a lot of ease through the bust and hip, with elastic shirring at the waist to cinch it in. The waistline can be customized and adjusted up and down to accent the wearer’s natural waist. Choose between two hemlines, a classic straight hem or a more dramatic drop hem style, with optional side-seam pockets. Cute alone or belted, with flats, boots or heels, it’s a year-round wardrobe essential."

Now let me state something about this blog post, there are several pictures.  Meredith offered to take my pictures and she did a great job.  I feel good about the look of the photos and the look of me - ha ha.  No tired look like I stated in this blog post and it was a perfect overcast day, which makes even better pictures.

I purchased this pattern during the 
Perfect Pattern Parcel #3 sale




On instagram, I put a picture of the pattern and the fabric and asked straight or hi-lo hem.  This Instagram photo had the most comments ever  (for me) and thank you so much for the help.  The straight hem comments were the winning vote and I went with this.  I did this for two reasons, it was a great suggestion and I was short on fabric.  The fabric shortage was not because I didn't order enough, it was because my fabric came in two pieces.  I really don't know why.  I don't think it was a panel type print, take a look at Oona's maxi dress, that was straight yardage.

Back to my dress, I really like the pockets.


and the shape of the dress, which is easy to wear.

I added 1 inch to the length of the dress, it is still a bit shorter than my usual length but I love how it looks.



I was quite pleased on how the side seam went together.  It isn't a perfect match but really is a nice match.


I can see me wearing this dress now and into the fall with a black cardigan (which I need to purchase).  I even think it would be cute without the belt.  Meredith didn't agree with the no belt look.  Speaking of the belt, I did not add the elastic for the waist.  I felt like without the elastic I could wear the belt at the waist or a slouchy belt at the hips.  Without the elastic, I felt like I had some options.



Some information about the photos settings:

Meredith and I went to a nearby corn field for these pictures.  It was a bit windy today and I walk by this spot everyday, so I knew it was perfect for photos. The height of the surrounding corn is a natural windblock.   The corn in this area is short, the ground is low and it holds water, plus this is the entrance to the field and it just gets lots of traffic.  These two factors make the corn not so good in this 15 foot area, but this is the only area the corn isn't so good.  I will show you pictures tomorrow with fabulous corn field.  We did take some pictures in front of a soybean field also.


Now to close, one part of my dress I am not thrilled with my I can live with.  The placement of the large design on the back, just a bit of a target.


I love my new dress, it is a simple pattern but the design is fabulous.  Speaking of fabulous, this fabric is over-the-top fabulous and I had just a bit left.  Yes, you know me I used it to make another garment. You will seen it soon.

38 comments:

  1. It is absolutely perfect! Simple but classic.I am looking for such a pattern. I struggle mightily with PDF downloadable patterns. You must have success. What is your secret?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Joanne, I couldn't be more pleased on how the dress turned out. It was so much better than I had hoped. I print my patterns at work and tape them at work. I do pay more attention to the pattern lines and line those up than the PDF markings for each page. Hope that makes sense and helps.

      Delete
  2. Omg.. love the dress, the print and you used the perfect pattern. Fabulous background and inspired to find a similar background for my next pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila, it is such a good basic dress. I had fun going to take pictures somewhere else.

      Delete
  3. I think you should try the dress with leggings and boots for fall...you could blouse it over the belt a little more to make it work with leggings.
    And I don't think the back is as much of a target as you feel...very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea, Laura, it would look great bloused up a bit. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. oh, i really don't think the back is a problem! these colors glow on you-- why on earth would they send you two pieces?! you made a questionable cut work, beauty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is just one of those things that we look for. My daughter, Meredith, told me to quit knit-picking and just enjoy my dress. LOL! I have no idea why I received 2 pieces. Oh, well, it worked.

      Delete
  5. Very cute summer dress, nice and cool for those hot days of summer. The print is beautiful as well as the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joen, it is a nice dress. One thing in here in Missouri, our hot and humid days have been very few. That fact is unbelievable as we usually are so humid.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful fabric, and such a cute dress. I can see it going right through fall,, with tights, boots, and a cardigan. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa, it will be great with boots. Thanks again.

      Delete
  7. Really cute dress! I think the belt looks fabulous and it was a great to leave the elastic out for more versatility. And that fabric, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never seem to get the elastic in the right spot, so no elastic sure does help me out - LOL. Thanks so much.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous9:07 AM

    This is really, really cute! I love these colors on you! It works really well with this simple silhouette, too. And I don't see a problem with the print placement in the back- no one will think it's weird. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sonja, I just love it.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful pairing of pattern and fabric. You look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great dress and that fabric is the star. love these photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth, the photos were fun, Meredith just snapped away and it is so much easier than the tripod.

      Delete
  11. I really like this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty and versatile dress, and I love the corn field photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela, I thought it would be fun to feature some of my surroundings.

      Delete
  13. I love how you used that print on the dress. You are right, the fabric needed to be the star of the outfit. It looks great on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacy, I thought it would be a good combination, just turned out better than I had hoped. Love when that happens.

      Delete
  14. That is a really lovely dress. It has a nice ease to it, while still carrying the style factor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ease is perfect, easy to sit and move around. The hem length helps the movement.

      Delete
  15. The corn field photos are great and I agree with Oona, I don't think the "back target" is a problem. Your shoes are great too! I need shoes like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kyle, I appreciate your comment. The shoes are older, from my daughter's wedding in 2012, boy are they comfortable.

      Delete
  16. This is SUPER cute! I have this exact fabric but of course have not sewn anything with it yet. I was thinking tunic but I really like your simple dress. It will have to wait until next summer though - too fat at the moment to make anything lasting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love sewing up this fabric and a dress would be perfect for you. You always look so good in anything you make. I think we have similar tastes in fabric.

      Delete
  17. You look fabulous in this! This is such a beautiful print. This pattern is such a great one, too. I am planning to make it for my daughters, but am surprised that it calls for so much fabric. I on'y bought 2 yards, and am hoping it will work since my girls are 11 and 13.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is a great print. I bet it will work perfectly for your girls.

      Delete
  18. You know I see all of your pics on Instagram and then forget to come and check them out on the blog. Thanks for explaining about the cornfield. I thought it was yours! Great photo and beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to cover all the social media sites. The cornfield is actually my Aunt's and right across the road from my house.

      Delete
  19. Fabulous, festive, floral-y paisley! I agree with Oona, front and back perfection! And two pieces? Yikes! You made an excellent save with what could have been a disappointing order. I love it, and I can see this easily transitioning into autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue, I am so happy with the way it turned out.

      Delete
  20. After losing $60k to this binary crypto investment in 2022, I didn’t think I’d ever trust any form of crypto investment platform again. Luckily for me I was able to recover the funds through this incredible Hacker Steve who understands everything about the blockchain network. It was an emotional moment for me but Hacker Steve literally saved my life. He was able to pull back all my transactions. I would advise anyone in the same situation to not panic cuz digital assets can be recovered. Other assets such as stolen funds, stolen credit, lost crypto, etc. Contact Hacker Steve on Gmail: hackersteve911@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete