Thursday, September 18, 2014

Small Fry Skinny Jeans for the Little Guy

The little guy (aka grandson) has a hard time with jeans.  He is in the middle of the charts for weight and  on the lower part for height.  I tried an Ottobre pattern but it was just too big and actually short.  My Ottobre magazines are older, back from the twins younger days, think 10+ years old.  The styles were a bit different, looser and baggier.  I went on the hunt for a jean pattern and purchased
Small Fry Skinny Jeans, the description states "classic skinny fit style with enough ease for comfort"  I thought this would be perfect.

I love how these fit him and how the pockets sit low on the bum.




I used some navy twill from Mood Fabrics and it is perfect for these jeans.  Initially purchased this fabric for me a blazer.  I really didn't like the feel of it for a blazer but it is perfect for jeans.  I will be able to make him many more jeans, as I have plenty of yardage!


I love how these fit him and how the pockets sit low on the bum.

Another  design feature the pattern incorporates is the buttonhole elastic, which helps keep the pants up around the waist

The pattern uses flat fell seams, overlapping the seams with a generous seam allowance.  I   used regular seams, stitching with the regular machine then finishing with the serger.

Small Fry Skinny Jeans has a nice back yoke

One area I did a flat felled seam with some modifications was the hem area, I wanted  the seams to look very finished when the pants were rolled up.  I serged the side and inside seams, to a certain point, then I clipped the seam allowance.  This clip allowed me to create a flat felled seam




I made a size 2T, which I think will take him through several months.  My only alteration  was to shorten the pants by 1".  The pants are still plenty long and I will shorten them another 1" next time.

These are great little jeans, just so cute but please "no more pictures, he is too tired!"





9 comments:

  1. I got that pattern to make some jeans for my grandson, too! Very RYW in appearance, IMHO. Looks like you achieved a great fit for him. He's such a big boy now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's SO adorable!!! I love those pockets too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make the cute outfits for you g-son. I am really like the details on that jean pattern. My plan is to do some selfless sewing for the great nieces & nephew this Fall. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww.....So cute.....both him and the jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:20 PM

    Heeheehee, that last photo!!! These look so great on him! They're super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking of buying the skinny jeans pattern, so was very interested to read your positive review. The jeans you have made look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great Lori and are so cute on your grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be careful of crypto platforms promising huge returns. They lure people into fake programs. I was scammed 198,450 USD last year. While researching on how to recover my funds, I came across several recommendations on the Bitcoin Abuse Forum about HACKERSTEVE. I contacted him via his email on hackersteve911@gmail.com, and he helped me recover all my funds. If you've also been a victim of financial scams, don't hesitate to get in touch with STEVE.

    ReplyDelete