Monday, November 24, 2014

McCall's 6436 - Floral Silk Crepe de Chine





Enter this gorgeous Mood Fabrics' floral silk crepe de chine (sold out) and McCall's 6436  a perfect pairing.  After all, the fabric recommendations on the envelope include crepe de chine.



My favorite thing about the fabric is the colors, aqua is my color of choice.  My house has accents of aqua everywhere, maybe that is why I ordered this fabric.  Just look at my dining room curtains


I am just blah on this blouse, but to start I am going to go with the positives.

I like this pattern, I have made it before in the sleeveless version for summer, check out the navy one .  I love this one, it is just classic looking.

The pattern goes together very nicely and there is no sleeve placket or binding.  Why you ask?  The sleeve is a two piece sleeve and the seam is the opening.  Pretty nice and if you are nervous about the binding or the placket, this pattern might be a good one to use.  I have included the line drawing so you can see this.





I remembered on this one to lower my bust dart  (I forgot on the navy one) and that is very good thing on my finished blouse.


This blouse is long, so I can wear it with my ponte pants and an oversized cardigan, I like that.




I like that the silk drapes beautifully and  I used my Fashion Sewing Supply's Elegance interfacing for the first time.  I more than like this interfacing, I love it.  Elegance interfacing couldn't have been more perfect for this silk fabric.

I did go through my buttons and found the lightest (in weight) for this blouse.  The fabric is just so fine, I didn't want the buttons pulling at the fabric.




Now for what I don't like there is just too much floral going on.  I look in my closet and there isn't much floral and now I know why- not me.  Floral fabric has been sewn by me - I looked back at my Mood posts and saw a couple of floral things. For those garments made with  floral fabric,  they just don't get worn much and I end up donating them.  Here is one floral top I wear quite a bit - the black floral with solid black knit

Now I am going to try and get this one to work, I really love the feel of the fabric and I really did a nice job sewing this one.  

Here is one solution -with a denim jacket

I also will wear it under a crew neck sweater to calm down all that floral.

Over at Mood, Amy used this fabric for a beautiful tank, the color blocking was a great way to use the floral.


Note to self-  no florals, they just are not me.  Oh, and guess what?  I have another floral in my stash.  I think I will be giving that away on the blog.  Look for that after Thanksgiving.

Anyone else have a style of fabric that just isn't them?


PS - Raining this morning, so the pictures are a bit dark but I went for it anyway.  Also, I need to get my hair longer like earlier this year.  I am going to remember color only - no cuts!

29 comments:

  1. You look great in aqua! Too bad you don't care for the print, the shirt is gorgeous! I'm going to check out the pattern, I like the idea of the 2 piece sleeve and no placket. By the way, I looove florals ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the aqua, thanks so much. The sleeve is an awesome part of the pattern. I am going to keep the blouse but be very selective on how I wear it.

      Delete
  2. You really are the queen of shirts. I love this one. Beautiful fit as always, but the fabric is just gorgeous. I understand what you say about not wearing floral. I don't either. I hope this one surprises though you as it really is lovely, and versatile. I made a silk/cotton voile shirt a couple of years ago - it wasn't floral but it had orange pant stripe smudges all over it - totally not the simple, monotone shirts that I would normally prefer. I ended up wearing it until I wore holes in it - I think I liked the way it could dress up the simplest pants or skirts so easily and yet still be casual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two more shirts to go. The fit is good on this one,, thanks so much. I am going to keep it in the closet and maybe that shirt will surprise me like your shirt did for you.

      Delete
  3. Despite your misgivings about wearing floral it looks great & great styling with the denim jacket. Kudos for wanting to keep wearing it in different ways .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Ellen, I think the styling is the key.

      Delete
  4. Lori,I hope that you will wear this because it is stunning on you! I think that it looks great with the denim jacket. Thanks for pointing out the sleeve construction on this shirt pattern. I always dread doing plackets, so this would be a fantastic option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, this is a great pattern for the placket but I have seen your sewing, I would say you are an expert at a placket!!! Thanks so much, I am going to keep it and wear it with jackets/sweaters.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous9:25 AM

    This is such a great color on you, and it really does look nice under your jean jacket. I'm not really one for florals, either, unless they're really mod, but you know what I hate hate hate? Polka dots! I just hate 'em! There is nothing you could do to get me to wear polka dots. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sonja, isn't it funny how we have things that we just don't like.

      Delete
  6. Love this color on you ! Hope you can work around the floral in your mind and just keep trying different things over top. I'm not a floral person either but it does make a lovely blouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, treva, it might have to be put away for a week then I will try it again.

      Delete
  7. That is a very pretty fabric on you, but I totally understand where you are coming from. I don't have many patterns in my closet either. I have a lot of solids. A floral wouldn't get worn by me either, no matter how pretty the fabric.

    However, great job on the blouse! I think wearing it under a sweater would work great for a little pop of color, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacy, I have loved this fabric in my stash for 8 months or so. I now know why it took me so long to make.it.

      Delete
  8. Very pretty blouse and will look great with a jacket or under a pullover sweater. I think some people are just floral/print people and others not, good to know your own style. Although to me this seems a very mild print, almost a neutral :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to know your style but it has taken me several years to figure this one out!! LOL. Thanks

      Delete
  9. Hi Lori! I bought that same fabric, made it into a blouse...and then never wore it. Had the same response to the print as you. I think it's this particular print and not a floral thing. There's something about it that's hard to wear, if that makes sense. But you did a great job! —Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Meg, that is so good to hear, I feel like a little old lady in the fabric/print.

      Delete
    2. I think you both nailed it. There is something about florals tfor me hat boarders on house dresses and aprons that my grandmothers wore. Nothing wrong with them, I just don't want to dress like my grandmothers.

      Delete
  10. Great new blouse. You always look to chic! Funny about the florals. I love floral, but stripes on the other hand. Love them on others, but something about them on me. Maybe I'm always using a bad width?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa, I appreciate the chic comment. I seem to spend a great amount of time staring at the clothes hanging in my closet. We should trade my florals for your stripes.

      Delete
  11. From here the floral print blouse looks great. I also like the way you styled it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank, you, Cennetta, I think after it hangs in my closet for a bit I will wear it.

      Delete
  12. I think it looks lovely. Maybe you just need to get used to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki, I think you are right.

      Delete
  13. Love your shirts! Now thinking of florals, I like florals with a DARK background....but seldom seem to like wearing florals with light backgrounds. Funny, hunh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dark background might be the key, it is all personal taste, isn't it? Thanks so much.

      Delete
  14. I think the floral shirt paired with the denim jacket is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The denim does calm down the floral.

      Delete